Public Health Accreditation is a voluntary national program developed to measure Health Department performance against an established set of nationally recognized, practice-focused and evidence-based standards. Overseen by the Public Health Accreditation Board (PHAB) and jointly supported by the Centers for Disease Control Prevention (CDC) and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, PHAB modeled its accreditation requirements on the Ten Essential Public Health Services to ensure all applicants meet or exceed an established baseline of quality and services. The journey towards Public Health Accreditation requires the close inspection of our core programs, policies and processes to ensure that they not only meet the standards set by PHAB, but that we continuously work to improve how we deliver Public Health to everyone who lives, works and plays in the City of Middletown.
While Public Health Accreditation is voluntary nationally, the State of Ohio is the first and currently only state to mandate that all Ohio Health Departments reach an accredited status by the year 2020. Accredited status awarded by PHAB lasts for 5 years with annual progress reports due to ensure continuous program and process improvement. Toward the end of the 5 year span, each Health Department must submit for re-accreditation to sustain its status with the Public Health Accreditation Board. Domains, Standards and Measures Public Health Accreditation is divided into twelve (12) domains of Public Health service. The first ten (10) domains address the Ten Essential Public Health Services; Domain 11 addresses the management and administration of our organization and Domain 12 addresses governance (how we interact with our Board of Health). Standards are the required level of achievement our Health Department is expected to meet, while individual measures provide a way of evaluating if each standard has been met. Ultimately, there are over 350 required examples that all health departments must submit for evaluation.
Plans & Resources
- 2019 C.H.I.P. Lung Cancer Screening Handout (PDF)
- 2019 C.H.I.P. Smoking Cessation Programs (PDF)
- City of Middletown Health Department Community Health Assessment (PDF)
- City of Middletown Health Department Community Health Improvement Plan (PDF)
- City of Middletown Health Department Performance Improvement Plan (PDF)
- City of Middletown Health Department Quality Improvement Plan (PDF)
- Community Health Assessment Survey Results
- City of Middletown Health Department Workforce Development Plan (PDF)
- City of Middletown Health Department Strategic Plan (PDF)
- CITY OF MIDDLETOWN HEALTH DEPARTMENT (CMHD) VIRTUAL SITE VISIT PPTX - MAY 2021