About the Program
The City of Middletown is implementing a Street Resurfacing Assessment Program that will allow residents to petition to have improvements made to a portion of the street adjacent to their property. The cost of improvements can either be paid by residents in a lump sum or be incorporated in the property taxes over a certain amount of years.
- Pick up petition forms from the Clerk of City Council Office or the Engineering Division, One Donham Plaza, Middletown, Ohio 45042.
- Confirm that the street you would like to be improved meets the qualifications (See Assessment Policy under Related Documents).
- Seek assistance from the engineering staff to gain information, such as the general budget for the project.
- For example:
Maple Drive includes 22 lots, including two corner lots, along 1000 feet of roadway. A basic "mill and fill" operation, which consists of the removal and replacement of the top 1 or 2 inches of asphalt, would cost $62,000, equating to $2,820 per lot. (Corner lots are figured separately.)
The city will send property owners a notice for the costs of improvement. Owners can pay the bill in full within 30 days or pay only a portion of the amount and any remaining balance would be levied against the property as an assessment for the life of the improvement, up to 20 years, and would be collected with property's real estate taxes.
- Distribute the letter to residents in your neighborhood to explain what you are doing, why, and how it would affect them.
- Gather the required number of signatures for the petition from residents in your neighborhood (See Assessment Policy under Related Documents).
- Submit the complete petition forms into the Clerk of City Council's Office, One Donham Plaza, Middletown, Ohio 45042.
- The Engineering Division staff will review qualifying petitions and submit their findings to City Council for further review and action.